Text-only view

Firstly, I apologise for the lack of images - I've been unable to get my photos from my phone onto the work laptop I'm using here in the states, so the images will have to wait until I get back to Sydney before appearing here (but rest assured, they'll get here!)

Secondly, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Emily, Gran and Dad for their respective birthdays on the 3rd, 7th and 9th this month - I'm sorry that I couldn't be in Adelaide for the weekend, but I hope it was fun!

Now, to update you all on how the last few weeks have gone - it's been crazy but amazing! So, I arrived in the US on Friday 22nd, and by that afternoon (US time, so effectively saturday morning) I was at the Googleplex! But not just at the Googleplex, I was actually setting up a machine, and within a few hours, writing code at the Googleplex. This trend continued into friday night, then started again for most of Saturday, Sunday and Monday - it was rather surreal, a bunch of us in a small visitors' area, making the finishing touches and bugfixes before our big thursday demo.

Finally, after the 5 or 6 days of changes, some press training, and numerous demo runthroughs, we were ready! Our team of about 50 or so developers (mostly from the Sydney office) all travelled down to San Fransico's Moscone centre, the location for this year's Google Developer conference, 'IO'. The Wave demo was the keynote on the thursday day 2, so we headed in our secret back entrance early, and what really struck me and a few other guys was the sight of attendees literally running to get seats up the front to see what we were announcing. You can check the video at the link in the post below, and I'll have a post all about it once I'm back in Syd, but in summary, it went really well! The reception has been amazing, just walking around IO and getting random people talking to me and the rest of the team - our youtube video is up to almost 2 million views in a little over a week, quite astounding.

That's about all for now, this week and next week are all just attending google training sessions, exploring around the HUGE campus we have here, and, of course, enjoying the Wave aftermath while trying to get our product stable, feature-laden and ready for a large consumer launch!

More soon, with pictures - Pat, Wave developer :)

Oooh, and for those that care about these sort of things, the Google share price is currently $444.32. On the morning of our keynote, it was $405.56, which means close to a 10% increase in stock price in the last week, and it's nice to think that at least some of that is hopefully due to my team - especially considering it was also a week where Microsoft announced the new upgrade of their competing search engine. And, for reference, the price on Feb 2 when I started was $340.57 ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beans!

Comment Away!

Sounds good - part 1